DUBLIN, August 19, 2021 / PRNewswire / – The “Global Scientific and Technical Edition 2021-2025” the report was added to ResearchAndMarkets.com offer.
Coronavirus lockdowns, travel restrictions and trade disruptions have resulted in a difficult year, but these factors have not stopped the scientific and technical publishing market from showing underlying growth.
The report found that total sales rose 0.4% to $ 10.5 billion in 2020. However, exchange rate fluctuations deflated growth. The report estimates growth without currency effect at 2.8%.
The number of articles published with funding from 33 key research organizations tracked by the analyst increased 10.7% to 525,042 articles in 2020, according to information from the Crossref database.
The National Foundation of Natural Sciences of China is the largest funder, supporting 268,588 articles in 2020 – a 9.2% increase from 245,966 in 2019. The US National Institutes of Health is the second largest funder of articles with 71,951 in 2020, an increase of 8%. The European Commission takes third place in the index, increasing the number of articles funded by 18.6% as Plan S’s open access mandate grows. The German Federal Ministry of Education and Research and from Japan The Science and Technology Agency both posted more than 20% growth in the number of funded articles in 2020.
There have been more reports of academic libraries canceling their journal subscription packages in 2020 and 2021, but most still subscribe to individual journals based on their use / importance to researchers and faculty. As individual institutions choose to purchase pay-per-view subscriptions, their total spend from large commercial publishers is reduced, but market leaders are replacing it with revenue growth from open access fees. Others sign transformative agreements, which support the growth of open access.
It was also found that pure open access publishers MDPI, PLOS and eLife publish a significant number of articles supported by the largest research funding organizations in the world. The European Commission funded 6,304 articles published by MDPI, 13.3% of all articles funded by the EC in 2020. MDPI also has a close link with the National Research Foundation of Korea, which funded 2,829 articles published by MDPI in 2020 – 12.3% of all articles funded by the foundation. PLOS and eLife have strong ties to the United States National Institutes of Health, publishing respectively 1,125 and 944 articles in 2020 which were financially supported by this agency.
The report provides detailed information on the Scientific and Technical Publishing market segmented by delivery medium: journals, books, online content, summary and indexing, and other activities (audio, video and CD-ROM). It analyzes trends impacting the industry and forecasts market growth through 2025. The report includes an in-depth review of 10 leading science and engineering publishers including Elsevier, IHS Markit, Springer Nature, Clarivate Analytics, John Wiley & Sons, American Chemical Society et al.
The report covers:
- The number of new peer-reviewed journals launched by 2017 to feature key scientific and technical topics: technology and engineering, biological sciences and agriculture, earth, space and environmental sciences, chemistry, mathematics and physical.
- The number of new scholarly and professional books published per year 2018-2020 for all professional and scholarly titles, technology and engineering, general sciences and computer science.
- Underlying growth leaders in scientific and technical publishing.
- Analysis of competing books and number of journal titles showing major areas for individual publishers.
- Analysis of three years of merger and acquisition activity.
- An overview of the cancellations of large consortia and university library contracts, à la carte replacements and transformative agreements.
- Forecast increase in the price of the newspaper.
- Growth of articles funded for the 22 largest scientific funders in the world and analysis of the main publishers by funding organization.
- Trend and forecast of research and development expenditure for the top 15 countries.
- Trends in imports / exports of technical, scientific and professional books 2017-2021.
Main topics covered:
- Key facts and trends
- The top six hold 46.7% of the scientific and technical publishing market
- Journals are the largest scientific and technical publication activity
- Fastest Growing Segment Online Content Surpasses Books in Total Sales
- US delays China’s R&D spending amid COVID-19
- Exports of technical, scientific and professional books fell in 2020
Chapter 1: Scientific and Technical Publishing Market
- Market size
- Online content
- Summary and Indexing (A&I) Services
- Other activities
- S&T edition by geography
- Linguistic divisions and main publication centers
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of the world
- Currency impact
Chapter 2: Main scientific and technical publishers
- IHS Markit
- Springer Nature
- Clarify the analysis
- John Wiley and son
- Scientific and technical publication strategy
- American Chemical Society
- Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- Media Borders
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Mergers and acquisitions in the S&T publishing market
Chapter 3: Trends and Forecasts
- Trends in University Libraries
- Renew, transform, cancel: libraries choose their important business options very carefully
- Transformative agreements
- Average journal prices are increasing every year
- US delays China’s R&D spending amid COVID-19
- Research funders and their link to publication activity
- Trends in exports of technical, scientific and professional books
- Import trends for technical, scientific and professional books
- Market forecast
- Forecast logs
- Online content forecasting
- Book forecast
- Abstraction and indexing forecast
- Other planned activities
- Elimination forecast
- Early book exports reflect growth
- Forecast of the main publishers
For more information on this report, visit https://www.researchandmarkets.com/r/svzwin
ResearchAndMarkets.com is the world’s leading source for market research reports and international market data. We provide you with the latest data on international and regional markets, key industries, major companies, new products and the latest trends.
Research and markets
Laura Wood, senior
For EST office hours, call + 1-917-300-0470
For USA / CAN call toll free + 1-800-526-8630
For GMT office hours, call + 353-1-416-8900
US Fax: 646-607-1904
Fax (outside the United States): + 353-1-481-1716
SOURCE Research and Markets