Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov met his Polish counterpart and rotating OSCE President Zbigniew Rau on February 15 in Moscow. Among other things, the settlement of the Donbass conflict and Ukraine’s compliance with the Minsk agreements were negotiated. At the joint press conference, Lavrov commented on the Russian response to the US and NATO response to Russia’s security demands, including NATO’s non-expansion eastward.
rtCorrespondent Murad Gazdiev asked the Russian Foreign Minister when Russia would publish its response to the West’s proposals. Lavrov announced that the document would soon be published. For the moment, certain protocol and technical problems must be respected.
“Of course, we will publish this document. We have no qualms about it.
On Monday, the foreign minister said in a meeting with President Vladimir Putin that Moscow’s response to the US and NATO response to security proposals had already been formulated and ran to ten pages.
In mid-December, Moscow submitted its security proposals to Washington and NATO. Russia’s main demand was that NATO should no longer expand eastward. Russia insisted on a point-by-point written statement. On January 26, NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said that NATO rejects all calls for non-enlargement. He underlined that in particular a compromise concerning the accession of Ukraine was out of the question. Putin later said the United States and NATO had ignored Moscow’s principled concerns in their responses to the Kremlin’s proposals on security guarantees. At the beginning of February, the Spanish newspaper published El País leaked documents that the US and NATO have rejected key Russian demands for non-expansion of the military bloc east and for broader European security guarantees.
more on the subject – After the refusal of the West, what does Russia plan next?