Rejection slips have not yet been issued to excluded persons – who can apply to the Aliens Tribunal (FT) to challenge the decision – and the Registrar General of India (RGI) has yet to notify the NRC, officials familiar with the matter told ET.
The NRC Supplemental List found more than 31.1 million people eligible to be included in the registry and left out over 1.9 million people.
However, NRC authorities have discovered anomalies in several cases and have asked officers in different districts to verify speaking orders, officials said.
In May, NRC coordinator Hitesh Dev Sarma filed a petition with the Supreme Court, requesting a full and time-limited rechecking of the NRC draft and additional list under the oversight of a represented monitoring committee. preferably by the district judge, the district magistrate and police commissioner in each district.
Sarma, who has been involved in the NRC process from its earliest days, said last year in Gauhati’s High Court that the RGI was silent on the NRC anomalies process. Instead of giving instructions on how to rectify the situation, the RGI had asked the NRC authorities to end the NRC update operation by issuing reject slips, he alleged.
A senior NRC official, who asked not to be named, said the issuance of rejection slips to those excluded from the additional register had not started because authorities requested an order from the SC monitoring the case . “The case is pending, as the state government has asked the SC to request a 20% reverification sample of the names included in the NRC project in the border districts of Bangladesh and a 10% reverification sample. names in other districts, ”he told ET.
The Home Office in an affidavit filed on January 29, 2020, before the SC submitted that people dissatisfied with the outcome of the NRC’s decision on their claims and objects can appeal to the Aliens Court without delay publication of the final NRC by the registrar. general, the official said. “However, the Supreme Court gave no direction in this regard.”
Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma recently said his government would talk about the NRC after the Covid-19 pandemic ended. “We have asked our supporters to ask the SC that Assam sue the NRC after the end of the pandemic,” the chief minister said.
In March of this year, RGI called on the Assam government to complete the NRC update by March 31, 2021.
Claiming that there is no provision for additional funding for a request of 3.22 cr per month for the continuation of the work of the NRC, RGI had said that the state coordinator’s office could be moved to a building state government and that personnel could be removed.